Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Day That Changed My Life Forever



" The rhythm of waves lapping on the shore,

Is like a beautiful symphony I have never heard before ”

By the waterside I stroll, the gentle sea breeze blows my long dark-brown hair. I feel the white waves lightly brushing against my legs. I close my eyes and open my inner sense to be one with my surroundings. Ah! This is the perfect place to venture into the depths of my soul and discover the real me. With my eyelids sealed, my spirit set free, the quest for identity has now begun….

The various shapes, patterns and sizes of seashells that lie on the golden sand fascinates me and thus with these shells I begin to understand more about my physical being. Picturing the individual uniqueness of each seashell found on the beach, I earnestly try to view myself equally as special as those around me but in the end failing to do so. Indeed, I have never pictured myself as special or even significant. Do not get me wrong for I am pretty sure I am not lacking in self-confidence. Instead, perhaps the reason behind this perception I have of myself is plainly because happy am I with putting everyone else in a class above my own. It somehow pleases me to prioritize the intentions of others especially those whom I se dearly love. Strange to say, as I held the seashells in the palm of my hand, a deep connection formed between me and the shells. These calcium compounds each possess a great deal of unique beauty, There was no way I could judge with utmost fairness which was the best and who was I to do so?

I paused for a few moments of silent contemplation and then let what I now understand sink into my system, becoming an ingrained belief or principle. So, applying what I learned from the shells, I see the dawning truth that I, like those shells, am unique and special too. Looking down at my reflection in the water, I am awakened for the first time to the pleasing sight of my somewhat big brown eyes, my straight and manageable long dark-brown hair, the sharp nose that sits in the middle of my oval-shaped face and the tall, slender figure I am. Upon seeing myself in a different light, I offer my praise to Almighty God for all He has blessed me with and also for altering my critical perception of myself. At that very moment, a gust of wind blew against my face and immediately I recognized that as a sign of God’s love for me. Well, I still find no reason to think more highly of myself than what is required for I know that God loves me and I just need to love myself enough.

With my newly acquired sense of confidence, I cast my conscious mind to dwell upon the element of water; refreshing, cool, versatile, calm and yet at the same time, forceful, strong and indispensable – how I wish I could bear the same characteristics of water! Just as how the now peaceful and calm seawater can form gentle ripples as well as feet-high tidal waves, I implore to follow in the image of water, portraying myself as wise, calm and thoughtful but strong-willed when the need arises. I aspire to be accommodating and versatile like the ability of water to take the shape of whatever container it is placed in. In the exact same way, I wish to be able to adapt easily to new situations and circumstances. Water is essential for aquatic creatures to carry on living, giving life and creating a perfect environment for the underwater world and therefore, my dreams of taking up a profession that centers upon giving hope and new life to the needy are as wide as an ocean. Perhaps by taking up careers like doctors, teachers, psychologist and counselors, I will be able to serve others with my skills and God-given talents. I believe such careers will be most suitable for me as I do enjoy serving the needs of others.

So absorbed was I with the wonderful nature of water, I failed to notice the beautiful sunset was turning into night. Alone am I in the darkness of the night with soft splashing sounds of the gentle waves, silently whispering of the incoming tide. I sat myself down on a high rock, admiring the sight of the mesmerizing full-moon. Honestly speaking, I am afraid of being alone on a deserted beach but then I stare up at the moon and the stars and feel the sense of direction overwhelming me for the Almighty God is like the moon in my life, shining down shafts of light in the darkest of my nights. The stars, however, are like the wonderful people in my life who motivate me, inspire me and guide me along the right path. Under this starry sky, I am enlightened to believe that God who has made day and night, is allowing me to toughen myself, face my fears and seek Him through the darkness of life which sometimes meet us on our path and I believe I have succeeded - I have indeed found the need for God in my soul. Furthermore, through trials and tribulations, with the help of the stars in my life, I have become a more mature, responsible and enlightened person. As I gaze at the moon and the stars, I feel God’s warmth dispelling the coldness of this dark night as well as my fears. With God, I am never alone!

Daybreak…. I awake - feeling renewed - from what felt like a truly restful sleep. My inner being is at peace and an outburst of opulent joy erupts from within. My night of soul-searching is an experience with God. It is Him who opens my eyes to my hidden inner beauty, it is Him who allows me to see the purpose of my life and it is Him who dispels my fears. In God, I find who I truly am. Hence, turning from the shoreline, I head back home with God in my heart and this poem in my head:

“ Strolling by the beach seeking identity,

Mesmerized was I by the breathtaking scenery;

God was with me throughout the night,

As I sat silently under the moonlight;

He has opened my eyes for me to see,

His unique and wonderful creation called ME…. ”

No comments:

Post a Comment